Do you ever find yourself craving flan at ten pm on a summer night after your kids have gone to bed, but the thought of stirring sugar on the stove to turn it to caramel, and then mixing, baking and chilling the custard, and not having the flan before midnight is a major deterrent? Well, the Instant Pot doesn’t slow down the chilling time, but it will put flan in your hands within an hour. And there’s nothing wrong with eating flan warm, is there?
These aren’t the kind of flans you show off for company, but they will be QUICK. 30 minutes from start to finish, not including cooling off time. Pour a thin layer of maple syrup on the bottom of your ramekins, mix the flan ingredients, dump in and cover with foil. Nine minutes at pressure, ten minutes natural release, open and done. If you really want the caramel layer, which adds more time, see my recipe for coconut flan and just follow the first step.
I don’t think it’s safe to layer several rows of ramekins in the Instant Pot above the fill line, so just to be safe, you might want to cook it in two batches. Then one batch is ready to eat right away, the other can be chilled for tomorrow, and you can go to bed.
Let me know if you try it!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup regular or lowfat milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour thin layer of maple syrup across several pressure cooker safe *ramekins (see step 12).
- Pour egg mixture over maple syrup layer until ramekins are slightly more than 3/4 full.
- Cover tops with aluminum foil.
- Put one cup water in Instant Pot and add trivet.
- Stack two layers of ramekins, making sure to stay below the fill line.
- Set Manual High Pressure for 9 minutes.
- Once cooker beeps, allow to rest for 10 minutes before carefully releasing any remaining pressure and removing ramekins.
- If you have more ramekins, repeat cooking steps.
- Cool slightly and enjoy, or better yet, refrigerate for several hours if you can restrain yourself.
- *If you don't have ramekins, you could try cooking this in one Instant Pot-safe baking dish. Make sure to make handles of some sort so you can pull out the hot dish.